Thursday, October 16, 2014

Twinkie Torture

I first have to say that I have a soft spot in my heart for Twinkies, simply because my Grandma Rosie had a "Twinkie Drawer," that was always stocked with Hostess products when we came to visit.  This set aside and my nutritionally-minded brain taking over, my Food Science students were able to explore this beloved, yet overly processed, food item by creating and implementing an experiment of their choice using the scientific method.  The results? We found it won't catch on fire (despite having a torch directly on it), a microwave will turn it black within minutes, the white filling turns to yellow goo when heated, AND it can be dropped 2 stories onto concrete without any damage.  
Definitely food for thought...

 


No comments:

Post a Comment